Saturday, April 21, 2012

O is for OBVIOUS

Why do I hate to state the OBVIOUS?  Is it just me?  Sometimes a solution to a problem is so OBVIOUS that I pause after the question is posed, waiting to be sure it wasn't rhetorical.    . . . .  But eventually I realize, "Uh-oh, he really is asking me that."  And then being so pressed, I try to offer the answer as if I (too) am unsure and dismayed by the great dilemma. But here is where the whole 'trying to protect my friend from the embarrassment of looking stupid' backfires.  Since I posed my tentative solution so doubtfully, he thinks even his entirely off-the-wall idea has at least as much merit as my hedged bet; so now he stands taller and looks down with disdain, scoffing at the apparent gall I must possess to even dare speak in the presence of his austere wisdom!  But now, suddenly, my pride is backed into a corner and I want to announce loudly that he's a boneheaded imbecile for even considering that there might be more than one answer to 2 + 2, but that remark, just kind of seems too...obvious.  So I relent and withdraw and hope his newly empowered ego will at least wonder if my quietude might suggest that I'm being rhetorical.  It should be OBVIOUS!







By the way, MILLERVENTS copy is COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL Why cut and paste when you can simply copy my link?

1 comment:

  1. Of course, when we assume, we make an ... out of you and me. (My first boss told me that.)

    Well, you know. ;-)

    ReplyDelete